Pre-arrival information

You will be advised by your relocation contact (TEAM Relocation) and you can also check the “ Notes for Guidance”. TEAM will lead you through the whole process including registering with the Alien Police.

You can print out a comprehensive list of things-to-do before departing for Germany from the SWW (the Shell intranet site, only accessible for Shell employees):

or on the World Wide Web


Useful documents    

Passport and visa requirements are subject to change. Use the following information only as general guidelines. The embassy or consulate of your destination country is the best source for current, detailed requirements. Allow plenty of lead-time to obtain detailed information and prepare the requisite credentials. Passport and visa applications must be accompanied by documents - such as passport-size photos, birth certificates, and fees - which vary by country.



All visitors who are nationals of non-EU countries, plus citizens of the U.K., are required to have valid passports to enter Germany. Passports must be valid for at least six months. EU nationals (except British citizens) may enter on a national identity card unless they intend to stay in Germany for work, in which case a full passport is required. Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland may also enter on a national ID card, in lieu of passport.

Contact the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country, for full and current details.


Visas are not required for holders of U.S., Canadian, British or other EU member country passports, for stays under 90 days. Without a visa, however, citizens of visa-exempt countries may not take up employment. They require a work permit.

Other passport holders should check with the nearest German Consulate for any visa requirements.

For stays over 90 days, a visa is required; this takes the form of a residence permit.

After arrival in Germany, every person whether visa holder or not, need to:

  1. Register at the new place of residence
  2. Apply for a residence permit
  3. Apply for a work permit (only Non-EU and new EU member states)



Vaccinations and Medical Checks

Before coming to Germany, you and your family are required to have a medical examination, which will normally be done by the company medical adviser of your previous company.

There are no serious infectious diseases for which traveller’s or residents are at unusual risk in Germany. You may encounter bouts of traveller's diarrhoea simply due to differences in the mineral content of drinking water or types of food to which you are unaccustomed.

Tick-borne diseases such as encephalitis and Lyme disease may be encountered in some forested areas during summer months; your doctor may recommend vaccination against encephalitis. Hepatitis A and B, HIV/AIDS, and typhoid are only risks if you may be especially exposed to risk factors such as unprotected sexual contact, contact with blood, consuming contaminated food, or prolonged stays in rural areas.

Rabies is also in existence - always use caution around unknown animals.




It is a new European Union requirement that dogs and cats have an identification number, either on a clearly visible tattoo or as a microchip, and that this number corresponds to one on the proof of examination. (For travel between European Union countries, the pets must now have a passport, issued by a licensed veterinarian.)

If you live in rented quarters you must have the permission of the landlord before keeping a pet, and dogs must be licensed. Cats need no license. Check with the authorities for rules regarding other pets.

With all pets, the owner is legally responsible for anything the animal does. They are subject to huge lawsuits if, for instance, a dog runs a motorcyclist off the road and he is disabled for life. A personal liability policy arising out of ownership of a dog costs about €70 a year in Germany. It's a good idea to obtain this insurance.

Food and supplies are widely available. For an up to date list of Vets (Tierarzt) look in the “Gelbe Seiten”

Vaccinations and Quarantine

If you wish to bring a cat or dog into Germany, the animal must have been vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days but no more than 12 months prior to its entry. Proof of examination must be presented at the border (, also in English).

It's almost always required that the travelling animal be in a shipping crate that is sturdy, properly ventilated and large enough so that the pet may freely stand, turn around and lie down. Prescribed crates are available at pet stores and from most airlines. Remember to check with the airline when in doubt.

On arrival

At the Airport

You will arrive at Hamburg-Airport in Fuhlsbüttel. The Airport is convenient, northeast of Hamburg, 10 km from city centre ( Every 10 minutes an Airport Express shuttle connect the Airport with the Subway station in Ohlsdorf from where city centre  (20 minutes) and the whole Hamburg surrounding can easily be reached. All official taxis are off-white and you will find a Taxi stand outside the Airport on the arrival level.


The HR and relocation services (RSB) are responsible for the company you will be working for in Germany. They will take care of your briefing on contractual matters and they will direct you to the relevant people for housing, education and legal matters.

Outpost Hamburg is there to help you on any other matters you want to know more about, like different schools, doctors, shops etc. We will try to get in contact as soon as we have the right contact information to help you and your family.

Outpost Hamburg

Office hours: By E-mail
Languages: English
Contact >>